Our Time-Of-Use (TOU) program encourages residential members to reduce electricity use during peak hours and months. Participants in the program will receive a lower-priced rate for using power during off-peak periods but will pay closer to the actual cost of electricity during periods of the highest electric demand.
Our electric meters at your home can automatically record this data and keep track of electric use throughout the day so we can bill members accordingly.
The important thing to remember is that the TOU rate gives members an opportunity to control their bills by shifting use to the lower cost, off-peak periods and months.
What you can do to save!
- This rate is great for EV owners. Charge your electric vehicle during off-peak times.
- Use automatic timers to avoid running appliances such as water heaters, pool pumps, hot tubs, dehumidifiers, etc., during peak times.
- Install a programmable thermostat(s) to automatically adjust the temperature during peak times, especially in the summer months.
- Plug computers, printers and televisions into power strips and turn off at the switch when not in use.
- Wash and dry clothes off peak.
- Avoid running the dishwasher during peak times. Remember not to start it close to a peak time as well.
- Move oven use to off-peak hours.
To take advantage of the TOU rate please visit our website at bcremc.com/my-bcremc/tou/ or call the office at 812-372-2546.
Members who sign up for the time-of-use billing program are agreeing to a 12-month commitment with the option to transfer back to a standard residential rate after that term.