Outage Reporting Methods
Bartholomew County REMC offers multiple ways to report an outage:
- Call our outage call center at 800-927-5672. Please make sure you have the phone number you will be calling from listed on your billing account so that outages can be reported automatically if a live agent is not available.
- Report an outage through our mobile app. Search SmartHub in your app store, then click “Service Status” to report an outage.
- Before calling to report an outage, first check to see if your home’s circuit panel or fuse box hasn’t tripped or blown a fuse. If tripped, reset the breaker or replace the blown fuse.
- If the power is out in your entire neighborhood, it is still important to report the outage.
- Turn off the HVAC and unplug all unnecessary appliances and electrical equipment. When power is restored, turn on items one at a time. This is especially helpful to the linemen restoring power during extreme heat or cold, when demand is at its highest. We refer to this as “cold load pickup”. If they restore and there is a lot of demand on the line, it may blow the fuse on the line again.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. An unopened refrigerator keeps food cold for about four hours. A full freezer keeps food cool for about 48 hours a half-full freezer will stay cold for 24 hours.