Follow these easy tips for a safer holiday season
- Carefully inspect lighting strands for frayed or exposed wires, loose connections and cuts in the insulation. Damaged strands should be replaced, not repaired.
- Do not secure light strands or cords with staples or nails.
- Never run extension cords or lights under rugs or furniture. Heat or a spark could ignite the flammable materials.
- Avoid overloading outlets and circuits. Flickering lights, tripped circuit breakers, and blown fuses are warning signs that your home’s electrical outlets may be overloaded.
- Avoid hanging lights on the lower limbs of the tree if you have small children in the house.
- Turn off lights before you go to bed and anytime you leave home.