If you’re planning to cook feasts or create treats this holiday season, follow these basic safety tips:
- Test Smoke Detectors — Make sure they’re working properly.
- Watch Your Sleeves — This is not a good time for loose sleeves.
- Put A Lid On It — Have lids handy in case of a grease fire.
- Old Things Don’t Become New — Don’t use appliances in disrepair.
- How the Cookie Crumbles — Consider having a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Where There’s Heat There Could Be Fire — Keep flammables such as pot holders away from the stove.
- Not Child’s Play — Keep children and pets away from cooking areas.
- Keeping Time — Use a timer when the oven or stove is on.
- Stay With It — Don’t leave the room if you are broiling, frying or simmering food.
- Pay Attention — Take a nap after the feast.
Sources — Safe Electricity, Illinois Extension and University of Illinois