Mushroom Orzo Pilaf
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup whole wheat orzo
- 14 oz. or 1 2/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 t. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add diced onion, mushrooms and carrots and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five to seven minutes, or until veggies are tender. Stir in minced garlic and continue to cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add orzo, rosemary and vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for five minutes. Stir in parsley. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Garnish the Mushroom Orzo Pilaf with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Sharon DeLuca, Hebron, Ind.