If it’s too hot to fire up the grill this July 4, then it’s too warm indoors to heat up the oven. The solution: Host an energy-free potluck for the holiday and ask each guest to bring a cold dish that does not require any cooking before the party or heating during the event.
- Salads featuring ripe, red tomatoes and other fresh veggies from the backyard garden
- Bruschetta (a mix of chopped tomatoes, olive oil and basil)
- Hard cheeses and fancy crackers
- Coleslaw. Try shredding apples instead of cabbage for a summery twist
- Watermelon mixed with a drizzle of oil, apple cider vinegar, cilantro and mint
- Tangy homemade salsa and guacamole. See recipe below.
- Fruit platter for dessert
- A bonus:The no-heat menu means no sweaty, last-minute kitchen duty for the hostess.
Cilantro Lime Salsa
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1½ t. coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 large jalapenos, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 T. honey
- 1 t. salt
Combine ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with red, yellow, orange and green pepper spears or tortilla chips.