• The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which is harmful to dogs, birds and rodents.
• Chocolate, coffee and caffeine all contain methylxanthine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and more. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous.
• Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure.
• Macadamia nuts cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs.
• Because pets don’t possess enough of the enzyme to break down milk, it causes diarrhea and other digestive upset.
• Onions, garlic and chives can cause gastrointestinal irritation and can lead to red blood cell damage.
• Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in the digestive system, which is painful and can cause the stomach or intestines to rupture.
• The sweetener Xylitol can cause insulin release, which can lead to liver failure in pets. The increase in insulin also leads to hypoglycemia.
Source: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
Check out these readers’ recipes for pets: