Shrimp Salsa Fresca
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails off
- ½ medium cucumber, peeled, sliced and diced
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ½ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 8 shakes hot pepper sauce
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro (see cook's and editor's notes)
- 1 t. white pepper
- 1 t. salt
- Lime wedges for garnish
Cook and refrigerate shrimp. Mix all fresca ingredients (cucumber, celery, lime juice, ketchup and hot pepper sauce) in a small bowl and refrigerate. Mix all salsa ingredients (Roma tomatoes, green onions, yellow onion, cilantro, white pepper and salt) in a small bowl and refrigerate. Three to four hours in advance of serving, mix shrimp, salsa and fresca together and refrigerate. Spoon into goblets and garnish with lime wedges and cilantro. Serve with hot pepper sauce if you like it hotter.
Editor’s note: We used about one-fifth of the recommended amount of cilantro when testing the recipe.
“Reserve a few sprigs of cilantro for garnish.”
Jerry E. Jones, Claypool, Ind.