A focus of Kankakee Valley REMC is our commitment to the community. This commitment calls upon co-ops like ours to support the sustainable development of the communities we serve.
That′s far more than just a concept to our directors and staff. Every year, the REMC invests significant time and funds in activities supporting residents and strengthening our communities.
Here are some of the ways we demonstrate our commitment:
- Our employees promote safety by conducting high-voltage demonstrations for schools, 4-H groups, festivals, first responders, county highway departments, and other organizations.
- Operation Round Up has given more than 1.5 million to local non-profit organization in addition to funding student scholarships.
- The REMC supports 4-H through financial donations, while our employees volunteer their time to provide classes and judging for the electric project. KV REMC reimbursed over $2,500 in 4-H dues to our membership this year.
- For the past eight years, our members have provided backpacks and school supplies to help local students who needed a little extra help. The KV REMC Pack–a–Backpack program has given away over 2,000 backpacks filled with school supplies.
- Festivals, parades, and fairs are loved not only by the community but by your co-op, too. Your co-op employees hosted a booth at the county fairs on KV REMC Day at the Fair and threw candy and offered friendly waves at four town parades.
Each year your co-op participates in a company-wide community service day. This year′s support was provided in conjunction with United Way Day of Caring and supported two Porter County and one Starke County non-profits.
Why is this commitment so important to us? We know that everyone benefits from a stronger community. Helping our neighbors has always been a tradition in our part of Indiana, and as a Kankakee Valley REMC member, you can take pride in this form of Hoosier hospitality.