Local non-profit organizations are the backbone of our communities. The programs and services they provide to aid residents in need are more important now than ever before. We are pleased to announce the first quarter Operation Round Up grants provided to local non-profit organizations for programs to help those in need.
Morgan Township Volunteer Fire Department, Valparaiso received $2,000 to purchase water rescue equipment. This equipment will not only support human water rescues, but can rescue any animals that may be stuck in the ice or water. The department will use the equipment for calls in Morgan Township and also when responding to mutual aid calls in a neighboring community.
Kid’s Closet Ministry, NJUMC, North Judson was awarded $5,000 to purchase clothing, shoes, boots, coats, hygiene kits, bedding and other supplies for kids in need. The organization serves children of families at the poverty level in Starke County and neighboring counties who attend school in Starke County.
Pulaski County Historical Society-Winamac received $500 for repairs to the Vurpillat Opera House in downtown Winamac. The repairs to the 1882 building will include front fascia and a new entry door.
San Pierre Volunteer Fire Dept, San Pierre, received $4,000 to purchase a thermal imaging camera. The camera will be used by the firefighters in keeping “hot spots” extinguished during a structural fire.
2019 Operation Round Up grant recipients
- Pleasant Township Trustee
- Porter-Starke Services, Inc.
- Lakes of the Four Seasons Volunteer Fire Force
- Starke County Initiative for Lifelong Learning
- Rebuilding Together of Hebron
- The Caring Place, Inc.
- Pulaski Co. Scrappy Sewers
- LaPorte County Symphony Orchestra
- Wanatah Lions Club
- Family & Youth Services Bureau
- MSD of Boone Township School Corporation
- Union Mills Conservation Club
- St. Peter Lutheran Church Piecemakers
- Call-A-Ride, Inc.
- Kouts Fire Department
- Samaritan Counseling Centers, Inc.
- Visiting Nurses Association of Porter County
FOOD PANTRY DONATIONS
- The Christian Community Pantry, Inc.
- Christian Food Pantry of Porter Township
- Community Services of Starke County
- Supplemental United Pantry, Inc.
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- St. Vincent DePaul Society of Sacred Heart
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Valpo
- Pulaski County Human Services
- Holy Spirit Church St. Vincent DePaul
- SC Weekend Food Program
- Hebron Country Pantry
Total Awarded – Over $130,000!