Drivers are now prohibited from using handheld devices while driving on Indiana roads. The new legislation intended to combat distracted driving prohibits drivers from holding or using a handheld mobile device while operating a moving vehicle.
A few facts about the new law:
- Violators can be fined up to $500 and lose their driver’s license with repeat offenses.
- ILLEGAL for a driver to use a phone while the car is moving. That includes texting, emailing, taking pictures or video, looking up directions, viewing a website or checking the weather.
- LEGAL for a driver to use a phone if they are using a mount or hands-free feature.
- LEGAL for a driver to use a phone when vehicle is stopped.
- LEGAL to use a phone for emergency purposes.