Voting for local, state and national political positions is an extremely important part of your civic duty as an American, and a right we shouldn’t take lightly. As an electric cooperative member, you also have the right to vote for your co-op’s leadership each year (often done at your annual meeting). Each of Wabash Valley Power Association’s 23 member electric cooperatives host an annual meeting and one of the to-do’s at that meeting is to vote for directors who will serve as your voice on the board.
Voting isn’t the only reason to attend your co-op’s annual meeting. Here are many more reasons to attend:
- Socialize! Catch up with neighbors, family and friends you don’t normally see.
- Food! Some co-op annual meetings have the best breakfast, lunch or dinner around.
- Entertainment! While members register and wait for the meeting to start, you’ll be entertained. Think music, local entertainers, kids’ activities, bucket truck rides, live-line safety demonstrations where they fry a hot dog at 7,200 volts and more.
- Information! Explore programs offered from your electric co-op that will help you and your family. From energy-saving programs like POWER MOVES® to prescription drug discounts, electric co-ops offer more than just electricity.
- Politics! Meet your legislators who often attend to visit with constituents. This is an opportunity to talk with them personally about the issues that face your community.
Win prizes! Register and stay for the meeting and you might be eligible for a door prize or bill credit. Every co-op handles prizes differently — but trust us, there are prizes!
- Learn! You’re never too old to learn new things. Learn how your electricity is generated. It’s not all coal anymore. Meet your power supplier (that’s us!) and hear how the electricity you use is a balance of different sources.
- Meet! Meet the employees who make your electric co-op run. Put a face with a name, shake hands with the CEO and meet the directors that represent the district you live in.
- Hear! Find out what your electric co-op is doing in the next year to provide safe, reliable power to your home and business. Maybe its re-stringing power lines, upgrading meters for a higher level of service, building a new substation in your area or planning right-of-way clearing projects. You will learn what to expect in the coming year.
- Ask! Ask questions. Now is your chance to do that.
- Vote! Again, now is your chance to vote for the board of directors who will set policy for your electric co-op. The annual meeting is your opportunity to have a voice in your member-owned electric co-op.
Being a member of an electric co-op allows you to take part in your co-op’s annual meeting which is one of the cooperative differences. Call your electric co-op today and find out when your annual meeting will be held and make plans to attend. You’ll be glad you did.