Providing memorable opportunities for our youth is one way the REMC helps prepare youth for leadership roles they might fill now and in the future. This June, KV REMC was honored to sponsor six Kankakee Valley REMC students on a trip to Washington, D.C., as part of the Indiana Youth Tour. Youth Tour allows high school students entering their senior year to visit the nation’s capital, learn about American history and better understand their electric cooperatives and government.
This year’s attendees included:
• Brianna Irzyk, North Judson-San Pierre High School
• Dylan Andrews, Washington Township High School
• Maxwell Abel, Valparaiso High School
• Matthew Richardson, South Central School
• Rachel Churchill, Washington Township School
• Caleb Calkin, Oregon-Davis School
This year’s trip took students to places like the Flight 93 National Memorial, the Gettysburg battlefield, Arlington National Cemetery and various museums, monuments and memorials. The delegation even took in a Washington Nationals baseball game. The students also spent a day on Capitol Hill, meeting with Indiana’s congressional delegation.
Youth Tour is an annual event, so stay tuned for information about next year’s trip around the beginning of 2024.