Last year, Noble REMC was fortunate to award its first-ever EnviroWatts® grant to ACRES Land Trust to protect and care for Noble County properties. For ACRES preserves, that meant an opportunity to connect families, students and individuals with nature through the free public use of their properties.
This year it could go to your nonprofit service organization working toward a project to improve the environment locally.
The co-op is now accepting applications from such organizations for environmentally-friendly projects that benefit those in the Noble REMC service area.
Projects that are eligible for EnviroWatts grants include those with a goal to:
- Develop renewable energy sources and resources,
- Reduce energy use,
- Improve water quality of rivers, streams or underground aquifers,
- Improve the air quality of the local area,
- Enhance species diversity,
- Create or restore habitat for wildlife,
- Plant trees or native plants,
- Encourage recycling,
- Educate individuals about safe disposal of waste, especially hazardous/chemical waste, or
- Educate the public on local environmental issues.
Applications for a Noble REMC EnviroWatts grant can be found at nobleremc.com/programs or picked up at our office at 300 Weber Road, Albion, IN 46701. Applications are due by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 4.
Want to participate in EnviroWatts?
Established in 2016, the EnviroWatts program invites members to purchase alternative energy generated from renewable, environmentally-friendly sources for an additional 1 cent for the first 500 kilowatt-hours of electricity used each month. This places the maximum price per month at $5 for our members.
These pennies are then put into a separate program fund, which is then disbursed to local nonprofit organizations and projects that improve the local environment and community.
To participate in the program, please contact us at 800-933-7362.