From 1996 until 2005, Electric Consumer readers reached for glue guns, polymer clay, paint brushes and other craft supplies to fashion handmade ornaments for a Christmas tree ornament contest sponsored by the publication. Through the years, we received nearly 500 creations in a variety of mediums. Some were sculpted, some carved, some sewn. There were hand-painted eggs, lightbulbs recycled into Santa faces, intricate gingerbread-style houses, and angel figurines crafted from old silverware.
Beginning in 1997, the contest entrants were auctioned off in December with proceeds benefitting the Ronald McDonald House. In the history of the ornament auction, over $12,600 was raised.
Good news! We’re bringing back the contest and auction, and we invite all you to participate! Now’s your time to get crafty, raise money for the Ronald McDonald House, and possibly earn some spending money just in time for Christmas. Here are the details:
• Ornaments must be original works that can be hung on a Christmas tree.
• Ornament designers must receive Electric Consumer either through their electric cooperative membership subscription or personal subscription. There are no age restrictions.
• Ornaments entered will be auctioned off during the Indiana Electric Cooperatives annual meeting on Dec. 5. Funds raised will constitute a portion of the annual donation Indiana’s electric cooperatives make to the Ronald McDonald House through efforts like a basket auction and monetary gifts.
• Monetary prizes for entrants will be awarded as follows: $150 for first place, $100 for second place, $75 for third place and $50 for honorable mentions, which will be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
• Entrants can enter as many ornaments as they’d like.
Deadline to send ornaments to Electric Consumer is Oct. 31. Winning entrants and their ornaments will be featured in the December issue of Electric Consumer. Ornaments should be mailed to Electric Consumer, Ornament Contest, 720 N. High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46214. Please include your name, address, phone number, name of your co-op and any pertinent information that may be important during the judging process.
To view past winners in a video, visit our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2a20u7EgtM. Winners from the previous years might recall we had a “Hall of Fame” division. That status will not apply to this contest.