As lineworkers and road crews do their jobs to help the community, Steuben County REMC asks drivers to do their part in keeping workers, themselves and their passengers safe when driving through work zones.
Slow down driving through work zones — it’s the law!
- The Indiana Work Zone Safety Law sets steep penalties for driving infractions within highway work zones. Here are the consequences if you’re caught breaking the law:
- First time citations for speeding in a work zone result in a $300 fine. The fine increases to $500 for a second offense and $1,000 for a third offense within three years.
- Motorists who drive recklessly or aggressively through a work zone face fines up to $5,000.
- Drivers who injure or kill a highway worker may end up paying a $10,000 fine and serving up to six years behind bars.
Fines generated from the work zone law are used to fund additional patrols in and around work zones.
TIPs for safe driving
- Take extra care to pay attention and expect the unexpected. Work zone configurations can change without notice.
- Don’t text or talk on the phone, and avoid taking your hands off the wheel.
- Watch for speed limit reductions, narrowing lanes, changing traffic patterns, and — most importantly — highway workers.
- Respect the posted speed limits and safely merge as soon and as safely possible. This will allow traffic to flow smoothly.